Pup tanks

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
So I got the plastic tub style pup tank floating in the top of the main tank but I have a question
To make sure the plastic box can not be completely turned over I put plastic piping around but this makes the rim of the box touch the cover glass on the tank so no water passes over the rim of the box
I got an air stone in there but do you think I should have a open gap somewhere for gas exchange?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Looking at the video in your other thread, I would put more holes in the sides of the floating tub to provide more water exchange. Nice rays too!

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Looking at the video in your other thread, I would put more holes in the sides of the floating tub to provide more water exchange. Nice rays too!
Totally agree jim mate, get loads more holes in the sides, couple in the bottom doesn't hurt. All the holes will aid gaseous exchange no end

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
I have drilled loads of holes in mine and rest the rim of the box on the brace of the tank just sliding the cover glass to it.

This locks it in place, prevents it overturning and even keeps it sitting by the sump outlet.

Even better, I wedged a straw in the sump outlet feeding through the hole in the pup tank which gives a steady trickle of water creating water exchange and a ripple for has exchange.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hi all

Thanks for the replies.
The box does have about a 15 or more holes drilled in each side of it plus one big 1.5 inch one on each side that has the small plastic plant pots wedged in them that you pot aquarium plants in, this is to stop anything like an inquisitive Birchir getting in there or clown loach. There are also about six holes drilled in the bottom to allow uneaten food to escape. There is a small Tunze power head in there for circulation. I was more concerened about the fact that the rim of the box sits flush with the cover glass so not allowing max gas exchange at the waters surface. I guess each tank is different and each type/size of box we get is different. I can't wedge this one to allow the cover glass to stay open. I may have to rethink what i have. Do your pup boxes have open access to the air in the room or are they allways covered by the cover glasses of the main tank??

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
I put a piece of glass over the top of my box to prevent anyone splashing their way out as that's very possible.
The glass doesn't sit with a rubber air tight seal or anything though so air would get in and surface agitation would allow gas exchange.
If you're concerned with what you have post a video and we'll see how all ours compares

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Hi all

Thanks for the replies.
The box does have about a 15 or more holes drilled in each side of it plus one big 1.5 inch one on each side that has the small plastic plant pots wedged in them that you pot aquarium plants in, this is to stop anything like an inquisitive Birchir getting in there or clown loach. There are also about six holes drilled in the bottom to allow uneaten food to escape. There is a small Tunze power head in there for circulation. I was more concerened about the fact that the rim of the box sits flush with the cover glass so not allowing max gas exchange at the waters surface. I guess each tank is different and each type/size of box we get is different. I can't wedge this one to allow the cover glass to stay open. I may have to rethink what i have. Do your pup boxes have open access to the air in the room or are they allways covered by the cover glasses of the main tank??
Ok. I didn't see all the holes in the video, but did see the plastic plant pots sticking out (great idea). Is there any way you could mount the Tunze pump on the outside of the box with the outlet of the pump sticking into the box? I think with enough flow going into the box you should be ok with the rim of the box touching the glass. I put my pups in a seperate tank, so am not familar with making floating boxes.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Not a bad idea mate at least it would pick water up from outside the box then. I may give this a go. I tried mount one of my circulation pumps nearer the box but the box ended up floating away all the time! So far too much current, thats why i switched to a really small power head i had spare..
Last night i just took a few jugs of water out of the box and the box instantly refilled with water so i am fairly happy there is enough water exhange, i was just worried about gas exchange.
Ok. I didn't see all the holes in the video, but did see the plastic plant pots sticking out (great idea). Is there any way you could mount the Tunze pump on the outside of the box with the outlet of the pump sticking into the box? I think with enough flow going into the box you should be ok with the rim of the box touching the glass. I put my pups in a seperate tank, so am not familar with making floating boxes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store