Snail eater?

superluke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2008
oxford uk
Hey guys I have a 75 gal and the current residents are 2 giant red snakeheads and I have a few live plants in there for deco but they have introduced some snails which are starting to multiply quickly! Just wonder if there are any fish that would be safe with my snakeheads that will also eat the snails?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Clown loaches will eat snails, and are fairly robust, but I don't know enough about snakeheads to say anything more about compatibility.

Heyguy74

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Jackson, NJ
The snakeheads will probably kill most fish that would eat the snails. Try assassin snails. You will only need a couple. The will kill all the other snails in the tank. They are carnivorous. So once the other snails are gone, they wont last long without food source.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Many of the large Paretroplus from Madagascar are snail eaters, they crush small snails, and have can opener like teeth that extract the flesh of snails to large to crush.
I've had Paretroplus menerambo clear out snail infestations that were so bad, you could barely see the fish just as the lights can on, snailless in less than 24 hours.
That said, a 75 gal tank is too small for adults of both species.
I've had menerabo reach 15", and have some maculatus in a 500 gal pool now @ 12".
maculatus

menerambo

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store