EGGS need help

fishy5

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2014
United State
So my 2 flowerhorn laid eggs last night (I saw them this morning). I have 2 fry tank with a 1 sponge filter and 1 home made K1 kaldness moving bed filter in each. I have a 20 gallon tank to put the female in when the eggs hatch. I do not have a tank for the male and both are with the eggs now. Should I divide the male and take the female out or do I need to leave them in? When should I transport the fry and can I move the eggs now? Also I dont know which eggs are fertilized I have white eggs (which I know are not fertilize), Half white and half dark eggs(which im assuming are not fertilized), I have all dark eggs also. I have heard that they will have a black spot in the egg I dont really see a black spot in any and Im assuming its too early to see it yet because the fry havent developed inside the eggs.(both my FH are fertile). Please help me tell if these eggs are fertilized. Also are the moving bed filters too strong for they fry? Im nervous that they will get sucked up into the kaldness. DSC_0412.JPGDSC_0414.JPGDSC_0416.JPGDSC_0418.JPGDSC_0421.JPGDSC_0422.JPGDSC_0426.JPGDSC_0427.JPGDSC_0428.JPG

DSC_0412.JPG

DSC_0414.JPG

DSC_0416.JPG

DSC_0418.JPG

DSC_0421.JPG

DSC_0422.JPG

DSC_0426.JPG

DSC_0427.JPG

DSC_0428.JPG

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Most of the eggs are white which means there not going to hatch, unfertilized.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
As I said I know that what about the brown ones?
Remove rock and place in fry tank with filter with the sponge covered intake. You will have to remove bad eggs with a small tubing line, or turkey baster so you don't jeopardize water quality.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Remove rock and place in fry tank with filter with the sponge covered intake. You will have to remove bad eggs with a small tubing line, or turkey baster so you don't jeopardize water quality.
Methylene blue can protect fertile eggs from fungus.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Most of the time, I prefer to let parents stay witheggs and fry.
Although 1st time, and inexperienced cichlids may eat eggs, most cichlids are great parents and diligently defend, and take care of eggs and fry.
They fan the eggs providing oxygen, eat the unfertilized and fungus covered eggs, preventing the good eggs from getting fungus, and fry will often grow faster and stronger if left with parents, or at least one parent.
It can be a good idea to remove the male if he threatens the female.

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
I'd leave the parents in the tank. If they happen to eat them they'll lay again. But I would let the at least let the female raise her young till they reach 1/4". What you need to do is start a food culture right now. That's going to take a while you can go with newly hatch brine but you can also buy frozen baby brine for now. Even hardboiled egg yolk I have used. The eggs that go chalk white are dead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store