SILICA Sand or FILTER Sand for 300 gal SA set up

Silca sand (light tan) or filter sand (a medium tan)?

• Total voters

Calvin Klein

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2011
British Columbia
I read about this but found no real answers as to which sand is better other than budget or preference. What do you feel is better for a 300 gal SA cichlid/catfish tank? The cost is exactly the same either way. The silica is lighter in colour whereas the filter sand is a medium tan. Gonna try this poll thing out. Hope it works! Comments are also always appreciated!

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
id go pool filter sand. Once you rinse it a good 2-3 times its left with larger grains which dont get sucked up into the filter or make the water all murky. Silica sand doesnt get the water murky but it does get sucked up into filters ruining motors and impellers. And oh btw pfs can even me gravel vac'ed while silica cant be.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
:confused:

most cichlids like to dig, and pool filter sand would hold mounds better than a very fine sand. so if you want mounds with spots of bare bottom - go pool filter. if you want a more level surface with smaller spots of glass, do a fine silica.

Reaper13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Southeast
I like pool filter sand myself. It settles really easy when disturbed. Looks great as well especially with a tank that big.

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
I think the question should be what colour you prefer as I find that practically they behave very similar. Personally I like the darker more tanned colour, so would go with that.

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Voted pool filter. Not a fan of whitish substrates.

Calvin Klein

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2011
British Columbia
Good info everyone. I suppose if the grit is the same, which I think it is in this case, colour preference is the determining factor. I kinda prefer the lighter colour since my other tanks all have darker substrate. I thought for sure the lighter silica would have been the preference.

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Pool filter for the above reasons as well! I use it in my tanks. Also, It is light enough it appears much brighter than contrasting driftwood backgrounds etc. I find blinding white sand is unnaturally bright, not to mention it makes it easier to see debri.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store