texas cichlid tankmate(s)

qwerty1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2012
Ontario
Hello mfk

I have a 55 gallon tank with a herichthys Carprintis in it alone and its about 3.5 inches big. Hes fairly aggressive (bites my hand when i go near him in the tank, and it leaves little marks).
What could I keep with him? I dont want something that will out compete it or vice versa, and i would like to see as minimal fighting as possible. ill be upgrading to a 125 6 footer in about 8 months also.
Im open to all suggestions, but i would prefer if it was geographically correct.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with ehh, the carpintus owns the entire tank territory already, and will shred anything you add.
When you upgrade, make sure you add all fish at the same time, if you allow any cichlid to take territory before any others, it will be dangerous for the newcomer.

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
Not true, I have clown loaches clown knife jag cichlid arowanas cat fish jack dempsey and 2 xl angel fish in my tank and every one gets along great iv had 2 texas cichlids for 8 years now and there not that mean I currently have a red texas in a grow tank and hes not that bad either just get other fish close to the same size or bigger and u will be fine trust me .

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
760, the consensus on the species is that they can be fairly aggressive. Not only is this one obviously aggressive but it's already about 4" and will be in a 55 for another 8 months. So over stocking the 55 is also an issue.

That's fine and dandy your tank is working out but that is not the norm. And no offense but trusting someone that would stock angel fish with a clown knife is not something I would do.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
For one my angels are huge for two clown knifes have very small mouths and only eat what they cam fit in it. My fish dont eat live fish either nor have they ever. Have you ever had a texas or multiple? Iv had them for 8 years now and if your not talking from experience then you dont kno what you talking about. Im not saying there not agressive I'm saying theres allot of fish that can hold there own against them Oscars jags jack dempseys green or red terrors and to be honest there only agressive if u have a male texas and u introduce another male cichlid they will bread with almost any kind of female cichlid or at least try so if u introduced a female of almost any kind if large cichlid you will have no problems. Also do have a clown knife or ever had one long anuff to know how they behave or truly act if not you are also talking out your butt just saying.

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
And he could keep that 4 inch texas in that 55 g for a couple more years realistically they grow super slow u should have no stocking issues adding a couple more fish I would.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store