short circuit on electric eel

Aaroncboo1

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2012
Lockport IL
Hello all. The name says it all. Is it at all possible to short a electric eel by adding salt in the water like you would when dosing a tank for sick fish? I have a electric eel and it got a huge tear in its side so I dosed it with some salt and it worked wonders but im scared that I damaged the eel. Any insight would be awesome! Thanks

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I don't think u damaged the eel. Although I think u increased the conductivity of the water and that's a bit scary neigh water changes and an eel. I think u can short the eel if u damage the hunter organ or sacks organ. If they aren't damaged then should continue to shock.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
water does not conduct electricity.. its the heavy metals in the water. if you use a
ro/d you wont have anything to worry about

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
water isn't a good conductor of electricity but salt water has "ok" conductivity. But not as good as metal. In this case the salt in the water is why and no salinity was checked. But anyway put some feeders in there and see if there's any contractions looking like shocks are being delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aaroncboo1

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2012
Lockport IL
Ok I had read somewhere that it would short out the eel but you know how the internet is so I figured I'd ask the experts. I wouldn't think it would but I want to know for sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store