Best method for holding larger fish (temporarily)

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
So I'm going to be re-doing my 75 and I need a thing to put my fish into (and my filters). I want to (ideally) have the fish out of the tank for say a week or so in a container running the same filtration as has been in their main tank. I'm redoing the substrate which is the reason I need the fish out and figured I should let things settle before adding the fish back in (its a planted tank...its gunna be a little messy)

I need a larger container since I'd rather not have to stuff the following into a tight squeeze together
· Aequidens sp. ‘Electric Blue’
· Herotilapia multispinosa – “Rainbow Cichlid”
· Ctenopoma acutirostre – “Leopard Leaf Fish”
· Trichopodus leerii – “Pearl Gourami” x3:3
· Polypterus senegalus – “Senegal Bichir”
· Polypterus retropinnis
· Polypterus delhezi
· Erpetoichthys calabaricus – “Rope fish”

The filtration is 2 Eheim 2217's that I've been using for like ever so I know the bacteria thing won't be an issue, and water changes are easy enough to do with the python. The heater is inline as well. I just need the large container that I can put everything in and haven't done something like this before in a smart manner (in the past I had everything in separate buckets but it was only for a few hours...this time around I want to make the process longer since I'm doing a dirt substrate and want to add a whole bunch of plants at the get-go).

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubberma...n-Hi-Top-Storage-Tote-FG3A05H2MICBL/100673965

Rubbermaid 54 gallon storage tote ~$24 from Home Depot might work. I haven't tried it with that much water.

If footprint is not a concern than a 44 gallon brute trash should work (assuming territory is not an issue for your fish). I've stored 42 gallons of water in 44 gallon brute trash can (~$45) for 1 week with no issues.
Any links to the brute trash thing? the problem with the tote is I'm not sure if it holds water and can take that kind of weight. I was looking at it before because size and price but I'm not sure and I'd rather not risk that busting open or something ya know?

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
That's what I was thinking, one of those good Rubbermaid trash cans. Really I think the tote would work, Id roll the dice, but I don't want to be the guy who gave bad advice should that thing fail, cause that would suck.

Anywho, it's nice to see you around double H :) You'd shoot me if you saw how my plants are doing :/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store