Ctenopoma in 30 gallon tank?

koi9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2011
california
I recently bought a 30 gallon tank and I've set it up but don't really have much decor. I put some guppies in there to test the water and so far so good. I was wondering if a Leopard Ctenopoma would be okay in there. Any thoughts!?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The leopard should be fine but the guppies will disappear.

koi9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2011
california
For how long will the tank be suitable for it Do you think?

Sent from my LGMS500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Bigger is always better of course but ctenopoma are slow growers and rarely get past six inches so yours could live its life in that tank.

koi9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2011
california
Excellent news. I'll just wait for it cycle properly. Thanks a lot Krich.

ocellatus

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
Canada
Have you personally owned one? Just curious.

I have 5 young leopards right now. Only had them a month, but am wondering why, in 35 years of fish keeping I didn't keep them sooner. Love the way they feed, hover, their markings.......lots to like about them.

O

koi9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2011
california
Oh lovely. Are they very fuzzy about hiding spots or decor?

ocellatus

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
Canada
Being an ambush predator, I believe they are most comfortable in a tank with tall driftwood, soft water, and surface cover. My tank has a number of large Val's that grow to the surface and trail over about 1/3 the surface area. There are a number of small water lettuce cover approx. 1/3 the surface as well, with lots of crypts on the bottom. I'll be adding some driftwood and more plants from my main tank this weekend.

Not particularly picky and certainly not shy. None of them hide and as a group they are found, and eat, in all parts of the water column. All will spend at least part of their day hovering over the crypts looking for missed food in their classic curl tail posture. They approach the tank looking for food as soon as I come near (they are absolute gluttons) so I need to cautiously approach to see their normal behaviour.

Please bear in mind that this is my first experience with Ctenopoma, I don't claim any expertise.

O

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store