Where to Drill Rubbermaid Stock tank?

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Hello, I plan on drilling a stock tank and using it for my sump. I'd like to put the bulkhead on the end of the tank but it looks like the only flat spot on is on the side. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Yes the flat sides are ideal...but a bulkhead will hold on the rounded surfaces also. I use reg bulkheads on 55gal barrels no prob. You can also look into "uni-seals" as this is what there made for. There also cheaper than traditional bulkheads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Yes the flat sides are ideal...but a bulkhead will hold on the rounded surfaces also. I use reg bulkheads on 55gal barrels no prob. You can also look into "uni-seals" as this is what there made for. There also cheaper than traditional bulkheads.

Wow! Never heard of the Uniseal before. I just googled it. Would you be comfortable using it on 100 gallon stock tank? Do you recommend this or just using a bulkhead on the end of the flat run and putting a 90* on the outside? It seems almost too good to be true.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Whatevers clever man lol, either option will work...ive been using uniseals since 09 with no issues for all sorts of plumbing/filter applications. I know alot of other members who use them on systems regardless of size also, so yes there not too good to be true, they work well for round surfaces and other places u may not be able to fit a traditional bulkhead. I currently have them running on 55gal barrels and a couple acrylic tanks.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I drilled mine on the sides as well.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I've drilled a few Rubbermaid containers for bulkheads.

I've had the best luck with a conventional holesaw and "sandwiching" the plastic between thin plywood.

Or laying the container over a corner of my work bench so the back side is supported

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store