Bamboo shark with a remora (video)

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I know there was some interest in the past on this subject (benthics and remoras). This display just has one small remora. It will cling to both the viewing window in front of the filter returns as well as several of the bamboo sharks (swimming and resting) in the display. This happens to be one of my larger male Brown bandeds, but there are two Arabians in there as well. The bubbles are due to me refilling the display after a large water change. The air that gets pulled in as the water drops has to be displaced back out of several hundred feet of piping. There normally aren't bubbles like this.

[video=youtube;Kfxo2TIE0RM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfxo2TIE0RM[/video]

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Sharks and tangs don't always make a good match. Watch out there are a lot of tangs in there.
I'm going to guess you don't know what zoodiver does for a living.

Is there much aggression between the remora and other fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reactions: twcp

L8braker

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
AVL, NC
Zoo you should do more water changes, improve your filtration and change the lighting...... oh wait thats right Zoo is the expert :popcorn:

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Is there much aggression between the remora and other fish.

Not with the little one. In the sister display (another location) I have a remora this size and one that's almost full grown. The big one has eaten a few fish over the past couple of years, but will typically eat squid or whole ballyhoo from hand at the surface.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Sharks and tangs don't always make a good match. Watch out there are a lot of tangs in there.
Thanks. It's a legitimate concern on a lot of home tanks -and I would offer the same caution to many people who try to keep sharks and tangs. Luckily, with larger displays like this, and a lot of experience knowing what rules can be bent - these guys all do just fine together.

This one is not huge, but 3,000 gallons and the 8 foot depth play in favor of keeping sharks mostly down low and hidden in the artificial reef structure, while the fish stay up higher and out in the open water.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Not with the little one. In the sister display (another location) I have a remora this size and one that's almost full grown. The big one has eaten a few fish over the past couple of years, but will typically eat squid or whole ballyhoo from hand at the surface.
Is that the 5,000 column?
Would it be comparable to a grouper?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reactions: twcp

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
It's a 3,000 gallon column.

Remoras are more like a cobia or some of the other free swimming fish (like jacks) when it comes feeding. As soon as they realize there is an easy food source, they take to it very quickly.

Mbartoloni7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
LI, New York
Zoodiver, I watched the video and I was curious the size of that male bamboo in the video. Based on the coloration of its bands it's not that old, but its probably one of the larger ones I've seen still demonstrating that coloration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store