Fish At Top Of Tank

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Hi all. Hope you can help. Last night I purchased 2 fish. I feel better introducing new fish during the ruckus of a water change. I did probably a near 40% wc (tank is a 75gal) and introduced the new fish. I used tap water and some water conditioner/chlorine remover. All seemed fine, even this morning every one looked happy. I fed them about 2 hrs ago and Im noticing the fish hanging out at the top of the tank. Right this second, I don't have a test kit, my last had some old expiration date so I threw it out. Should I start another water change?

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I wouldn't just yet. Let them settle, look for signs of bullying. Also assuming the tank is cycled?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Yea, the tank is about a year old. Lots of fish, but zero bullying.

Something I'm wondering about is the chlorine remover. I've had it a really long time. I bought a fairly big jug and I'm just getting down to the bottom of it. Im starting to notice an odor from it, anyone know if this stuff expires? Thanks convict :)

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Most of them chemicals have a half life and should have a exp date somewhere. This is the first time I'm hearing of introducing new fish while doing a wc. Kind of like sneak them in during the chaos.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Oh another thing, during the water change, I found out my heater went out, piece of crap topfin, it's not even a year old. So luckily caught that. I got an old heater in now, so the temp is about 5-6 degrees warmer than yesterday.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Most of them chemicals have a half life and should have a exp date somewhere. This is the first time I'm hearing of introducing new fish while doing a wc. Kind of like sneak them in during the chaos.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Any idea how long that is? Cause it's at a few years old.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store