white small leech like worm?

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
My last add to this tank would have been 3 months ago, a baby crappie (possibly that kind of fish) then maybe 6 weeks ago I noticed it had a few small white wormish things hanging from its fins. Caught it, removed with tweezers and havent seen it until since. Well now I looked at the bluegill and I just pulled 3 off of his fins, not the body just the fins. These wormish things are in there pretty good as you have to pull with the tweezers to get them off. Iv googled it tons, they are 100% not anchor worms, I have even dosed the tank with paracid for 4 weeks and nada. I am thinking about atleast cleaning the canister filter really good just for good measure I guess.

Best shot I could get with them on the fish, its like a dog always trying to beg.
20141120_224711 by smetters20, on Flickr

and the worms I took off, they wiggle like a leech would out of water these ones are about 1/4"
20141120_225711 by smetters20, on Flickr

p.s dont mind the dirty glass and algae, tank sits near a sliding glass door hard to keep clean and with a 3yo constantly touching the glass.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
add salt. kills leaches

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Take the bluegill out put in a 5 gallon pail with a high concentration of salt. Let him sit for 5 minutes or until he breathes at the surface. Then place directly back into the tank. Make sure water quality is good as the bucket, salt, and heavy breathing causes lots of stress but they will live

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
Didnt feel confortable doing the high concentration dip, but Iv been using salt the past 4 weeks and still havent gone anywhere... its odd they are not ON the fish, JUST the fins of the bluegill only.... this is annoying

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Use 2 tablespoons of salt per 5 gallons of water and Malachite green.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store