Laguna pump has gotten noisy

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I had the same problem. I had 2 lingerie bags, 1 biomax 1 pond matrix in front of the pump intake and I think that the problem came from biomax crumbling. I put some matala mat against the pump intake to work like a strainer then poret foam to do some polishing then the pond matrix, biomax went to the side of the pump. After a couple of weeks it went silent and has stayed silent for 10 months now.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
how was it broken that you didn't notice it while cleaning? my noisy laguna usually quiets down if I unplug it for a while, and can go for months without a buzz. I didn't see any impeller issues with mine.

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
In retrospect, it was pretty obvious that it was broken. It's just that until I had a new one to compare it to, I didn't know what a "not broken" one looked like :)

I'm not sure of all the technical terms, but there was a black collar piece that seemed to have degraded away so the impeller portion with the fins was a little loose relative to the ceramic shaft portion and allowed some lateral movement (besides rotation). I noticed this when I cleaned it but wasn't sure if it was supposed to be this way (now I know that it's not). I'm honestly a little surprised that it still worked and moved water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store