Black Diamond sand safe?

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Hello, I'm on a budget since my tank purchase but really like the look of black sand. I'm going to do a large sa community that includes fish that like to sift through the sand like eartheaters. Is blasting sand safe? If so is there a specific brand hat is better than the next? Thanks.

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Sounds like its not worth it. It seems like a lot of folks use it in planted tanks but for these fish it doesn't sound like the right thing to do.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Look into using architectural floor or pool coatings such as Estes PermaColor Quartz or CAS AquaGems. I use the Estes TrowelRite size in all my tanks and buy it from N.T. Ruddock in the Cleveland area. Black runs about $20 for 50 lbs last time I bought it.

Use the Search feature for more details on these two products as there has been quite a few posts.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
Look into using architectural floor or pool coatings such as Estes PermaColor Quartz or CAS AquaGems. I use the Estes TrowelRite size in all my tanks and buy it from N.T. Ruddock in the Cleveland area. Black runs about $20 for 50 lbs last time I bought it.

Use the Search feature for more details on these two products as there has been quite a few posts.
I ran the older version (colorquartz) in the smaller grade and it's a great substrate. works good for plants too.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have 100 lbs of black diamond in the tank with my Fahaka puffer. She buries herself with just her eyes poking out and I haven't had any problems.

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Black Diamond and Black beauty are coal slag. The MSDS for coal slag makes me feel like I'd not want it in a tank.
Here is what "Coal Slag" is. It's not a manufactured product, it's a waste product with a varying partical size and chemical composition.
Also, the "sharpness" of each batch is completely random. Some is more smooth, some has long strands of glass. I'd not put it in with fish that sift sand. It's basically just pulvarised glass in texture, sorted by partical size.

3. Composition / Information on Ingredients
MSDS # 68476-96-0

Coal, slag

Constituents

CAS Percent
Silicon dioxide 41-53
Iron oxide 7-31
Aluminum oxide 17-25
Calcium oxide 3-15
Magnesium oxide 0-4
Potassium Oxide 0-3

zoomed.com