Completely altered sump!

TimnKasey

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2014
Norman, OK
Since I've obtained my monster fish and started on this site, I realized just how BAD my sump was setup. I knew nothing about sumps, and just assumed the previous owners had it ran right.
The 120 gal tank, stand, 40ish gal sump, and all kinds of parts for fw and sw were only $200, so we HAD to buy the tank! :p

We couldn't figure out why it wasn't filtering enough, so we just filled the sump up all the way and had bought a penguin brand filter and hung it on side of sump, ha.
Since the bichir entered the tank it wasnt nearly enough though.

So yesterday I spent all day with my 2 year old redesigning the sump tank. (Fun times with my "helper") I thought I had screwed up completely 2 or 3x, and was pretty scared for a bit.
But this morning my tank is perfect! And the sump is perfect! Its all functioning wonderfully!

So thank you mfk members for all the pics and descriptions of your sumps! My tank is actually functioning correctly now! And my bichir (Gator) is much happier!!
:D:D:D

Now I need to figure out if I need more media in different places though...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TimnKasey

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2014
Norman, OK
Oh! And is there supposed to be any sort of filters in the intake/overflow boxes (im not sure what correct name is) in the tank that hoses to the sump?

A

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
you can put filters in your intake, but it's not the brightest of ideas. it's setting yourself up for a flooded tank.
not to say it will happen, but you greatly increase the risk.

TimnKasey

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2014
Norman, OK
Ah, I see.
I wasn't sure if there was SUPPOSED to be something in there or not

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store