Best type of Asian for a black back ground tank

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
So i want to take the plunge into owning an Asian. I see loads of great looking aros and loads in white tanks. To be honest i am pretty confused about what type of aro to get so i need some advice from you experts. Here is a break down of my tank.

9x4x2 tank with glass covers
6x2.5x1.5 sump
600 UK gallon water volume
Sand substrate and black back ground
Normal white light day time and blue moon night time

Tank occupants

5 rays all over 16"
5 Datnoids all over 5" and above
2 Gars both over 16"
2 Clown loach around 6"
2 Birchirs around 16" and over

I don't want to have to use these tanning lights to get the best colour out of the aro and i don't want to buy an aro that has been kept in a white tank only to be dissapointed that the colour changes once in my tank. I like the look of reds, golds or blue base.

What would be the best type and coulr to go for and what would be the smallest size i could get considering the size of the other occupants?

Looking forward to replies all.

Thanks

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
It depends what you like Jim, my advise from keeping Asians is don't get obsessed with the photos that you see from Asia where they use WTT, tanning lights and other methods to influence the colour of the fish.

Look at photos from other hobbyists which will show how the fish will look kept in similar conditions to that of you, a lot of people have a dark background.

I'd suggest you get one at least 12" just so the gars don't dish out trouble.

Here is my contribution, 24K xback kept in black background T5 lighting and sand.
Chilli red arowana black background LED spot lighting

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1416589686.265599.jpg
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1416589709.838788.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chaitika

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
Back in action!
Red or gold would look fine in your tank. Personally I'd go with a red in a tank with black background, but thats me.

In terms of how small an aro you could get, the gars worry me. Well actually, I wouldn't mix the two species at all. I wouldn't want those gar teeth tearing up the scales oor face on an aro and I've had plenty of experiences with my aros wanting to kill any cylindrically shaped and light coloured fish.

There may be some hobbyists who've actually combined the two and can speak to that, but my aros are way too precious to even try.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Get a red tail gold as I have been told by an arowana importer that they were the best bang for your buck. I was told they are one of the aros least likely to get drop eye and they look awesome without special tanning or white tank. Hence, I bought one and all the info has come true. I have heard they don"t do good with gar and mine hated datnoids. I was hesitant in buying an Asian aro as all the ones I seen had some kind of defect,but I like my rtg and most likely wouldn't purchase any other kind. After all imo nothing beats a stingray as everything comes second after owning one.lol But you always need to try tank mates for variety.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Thanks all for the replies, both your pics look great bonesb66.
I too am a litle concerned about the Gars.
Anyone else got good/bad experiences with keeping aro and gars together?
I kept both of these Gars before with a silver aro and there were no issues. I was hoping to get an aro at least 12" so it's not too small in relation to the Gars.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Get a red tail gold as I have been told by an arowana importer that they were the best bang for your buck. I was told they are one of the aros least likely to get drop eye and they look awesome without special tanning or white tank. Hence, I bought one and all the info has come true. I have heard they don"t do good with gar and mine hated datnoids. I was hesitant in buying an Asian aro as all the ones I seen had some kind of defect,but I like my rtg and most likely wouldn't purchase any other kind. After all imo nothing beats a stingray as everything comes second after owning one.lol But you always need to try tank mates for variety.
Red tail gold are good value but the higher grade super reds and xback are much cheaper now

As for red tail gold not getting drop eye as much I don't think that's true

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Yes I quite like the xbacks
What's your take on keeping rays and aro together in a 2 foot tall tank?
Looks fine from all the pics I have seen but some people seem to think this is a bad idea

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Yes I quite like the xbacks
What's your take on keeping rays and aro together in a 2 foot tall tank?
Looks fine from all the pics I have seen but some people seem to think this is a bad idea

Not a great idea but it can work it all depends on your rays and how keep they are to pull down fish and kill them

Even a 12" aro is small and a 12" would have no problem killing it

You need 16"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store