Stand height concerns

Sac39051

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2012
Sacramento, Ca
Howdy all, my 150 gal has been ordered and I am building my stand this weekend. I am planning on getting a 55gal for the sump and I only recently realized that this stand will have to be pretty darn tall in order for me to be able to do sump maintenance.

So I guess my question is, for those of you with sumps, is how much vertical space do I really need between top of sump and under side of stand to be able to work on it in a practical manner?

I don't have a problem making a 42" or more stand, but at only 18" wide for the tank, i'm concerned about tipping issues with a whole system that will 6 feet tall or so. Any thoughts?

Unattended Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
near but far
If op is using a standard 55 gallon tank it's 21" tall. My stand also is 36" with a 75g sump which, is not a lot of clearance but is enough for me to do maintence on it. It also depends on what size wood your planning on using as my stand is built of 2x4's. Altogether (never really measured) it's about 5'0" total height. Tipping issue can be addressed by placing braces from wall to tank, I've never had a issue with this and really don't think it's a problem.

Sac39051

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2012
Sacramento, Ca
Plan on 21" tall, 55 gal sump, stand with 2x4's...if I want 20" of space to work on sump, my stand will end up being 49"....seems a bit high. What is the least amount of space I will really need? If I take stand down to 42", that only leaves me with 13" of clearance between too of sump and under side of stand...will this be enough? Thanks all!

Sac39051

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2012
Sacramento, Ca
This would put top of tank at 72" btw with center of tank at 57", I think I can live with that...42" tall by 22" wide. With braces on wall for peace of mind (great suggestion btw, ty). Will definitely be using a step ladder for cleaning, but oh well...

dont know how I will reach the bottom of the overflow boxes for cleaning lol.. Figure that out later

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Just use plenty of bracing around the legs and you should be fine. Make sure it's very stable, and not in a place that it can be "bumped over." Good luck!

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
6ft is about how high my 180's top sits at. With my height at 5'6" I look straight into the tank and I love the eye level perspective. You can click the link below to see this stand I built last year. Plenty of room to easily do maintenance underneath.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store