florida gars, what I need to prepare.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
So I'm looking for some experienced advice from the "Garmy" here.

I'm purchasing a 150 gallon aquarium this weekend, its going to be my temporary native setup untiL i get my 250-300 gallon tank down the road.

My question is how long would a 150 last for a florida gar? I'm talking growing one out from 3-4". (I know I will have to "step up" the tanks for him/her so he isn't doing mach 3 from one end of a 150 to the other and slowing down by hitting the side of the tank) Thanks! I'm just looking for a rough estimate of how long I'd be able to keep it in that tank.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
U need a tank that's a minimum of 8x3x2. That would be lifelong for him. Short of that wouldn't give him the right space.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
U need a tank that's a minimum of 8x3x2. That would be lifelong for him. Short of that wouldn't give him the right space.

I understand long term I need a large tank, and thats in the works and until I'm capable of providing that I wont buy the fish, I was just wondering how long a 150 would be able to accomodate him thats all.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I guess let me rephrase this question...whats the general growth rate on a florida gar given a good diet/tank space.

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
It'll hit around 12" in the first year then slow down significantly. My Florida gars haven't grown much at all since I've gotten them. I got one of mine at 12" last summer and it's only grown about 2". I feed them tilapia or shrimp every other day.
If your 150g is 2' wide I think the gar will be fine in there for 3 years.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
It'll hit around 12" in the first year then slow down significantly. My Florida gars haven't grown much at all since I've gotten them. I got one of mine at 12" last summer and it's only grown about 2". I feed them tilapia or shrimp every other day.
If your 150g is 2' wide I think the gar will be fine in there for 3 years.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I honestly can't remember the footprint off hand, I know it struck me as weird because the actual gallons calculated out is like 157.3 or something...barring glass thickness but thats not going to take much off.

Thank you for the info! that gives me a little peace of mind and time frame for a potential gar addition to my collection.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I understand long term I need a large tank, and thats in the works and until I'm capable of providing that I wont buy the fish, I was just wondering how long a 150 would be able to accomodate him thats all.
And your next post you say you are getting it anyway. So if that really means you are capable of getting the big tank, why not just go and get it now and skip the 150?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hey....sorry about the reply didn't know what you were asking. Sometimes I get a bit lost. Thanks to the others for replying.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
And your next post you say you are getting it anyway. So if that really means you are capable of getting the big tank, why not just go and get it now and skip the 150?
I think he should just skip the 150 too.
he will get the gar at 3-4'', I won't put a 4'' gar in anything as big as a 150G until it get to 10''. Because there is a high chance of its' back getting break due to the tank too big. best to keep it in a 20 gallon till 6'' then move to a 40 then keep him there until he hit 10'' and just go straight for a big long term tank. Plastic bins are cheap for gar growout tanks

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Some will argue this but a Florida gar can be in a 150 gallon for 2 years maybe more. It will be around 18"+/-2" after 3 years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store