Gar tank setup

Mattpersico98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Toronto, ON, Canada
I am new to gars, and I have done quite a bit of research. I just have one question for you guys, how should I setup the tank. It will be a 120 gallon, 4x2x2. I know I will need a larger tank, and I will have one by the time they need an upgrade. So what I'm asking is, how long will 1 or 2 gars last in this tank, and how should I set it up.

Thanks guys, Any help/advice is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
A couple of Florida gars can live in there for a couple years. You can set up the tank however you want. I'd personally do a planted tank with driftwood just because it would look nice. Just don't cram too much decor in there so the gar can swim.
They are pretty easy to care for and don't require a heater if the tank is indoors. They are very tough fish and one of my favorites. I'd definitely stay away from feeding them live feeders. They can easily be trained to take frozen and pellet foods.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
I've never heard of people using flounder or halibut but I suppose it would be fine. Tilapia is usually cheaper though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
Siddons is accurate, gars don't need anything special. I keep mine in a bare bottom, they just need airstones and to be fed as much as possible until they're adults which is when you slow down a little bit. Do not put any baby gars in a 120, they'll probably shoot into the walls and break their backs which could be fatal.

However I would feed them live feeder fish until they're 10 inches. Gars have crazy metabolisms which allow them to grow at an inch per week once they reach 5 inches until they're around 13-14 inches. If they don't have feeders to constantly snack on, they will most likely not grow as fast and they may not reach their full growth potential.

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
at 4x2x2 i wouldnt keep any gar over 14-15" in it but to each their own.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
My gars are so mild mannered...I read all these stories of them getting startled and ramming the glass...but mine dont care if my hands are in the tank, if the lights are on, or anything. they just coast around under the duckweed blanket all day lol.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
My gars are so mild mannered...I read all these stories of them getting startled and ramming the glass...but mine dont care if my hands are in the tank, if the lights are on, or anything. they just coast around under the duckweed blanket all day lol.
Same here. My Fl is in a 5' 150. Never freaks no matter what is going on and I started hand feeding it a week after I got it. It's about 10" now.

Sent from my car phone

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store