Diy sump idea help

Wenzo0o0o0oo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2010
usa
Are you planning the bio balls to be wet/dry or just using them as a first filter if your using them as wet/dry your baffle before the pump has to be lower

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Wet dry I guess , I think the egg crate holes will be large enough for the water to pass by faster then the drop plate dripping water , so the bio ball won't be under water

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
I'd skip the baffle. I'm running a 55gal sump of similar design sans baffles. I can't see a good use for them in a freshwater setup unless you've something specific going on like a planted section or fluidized media.

The main reason I'm not a fan of baffles is the amount of gunk that builds up behind them and under the wet/dry portion. Without them a powerhead can be aimed back there to blow it all towards the pump during a water change to remove it. If you're worried about debris getting to the pumps, sandwich the sponge between egg crate vertically so it's easily removable and won't get in the way of flushing under the media.

One of my return lines is T'd off, with one side of the T going to a ball valve followed by a male garden hose adapter. I drain the tank into the sump, and use the pump to push water to a drain through a hose.

As for Acrylic to glass, it works OK holding it in place, It's not going to hold back a ton of water pressure though. Most hardware stores will cut glass for free, which would be a better bond.

Also, if you're not super worried about looks, building a support for the egg crate and drip tray from 1/2 inch PVC works very well.

Wenzo0o0o0oo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2010
usa
But your baffle leading to the pump area looks like it is as high as the drip tray and thus will keep all water before that to that height

Thanks bro , so that has to be lower in order to get the bio balls wet dry? I was palming to use that part as a grow out since it's a 125gallons lol

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Thanks bro , so that has to be lower in order to get the bio balls wet dry? I was palming to use that part as a grow out since it's a 125gallons lol

It has to be lower otherwise all of your bio balls will be underwater. Not such a big deal if ya use ceramic media underwater, but bio balls or pot scrubbers don't quite cut it submerged from what I've read.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Yes if you want your bio balls to be wet dry that needs to be lower because the water before the pump is going to level out so if that part is above the bio balls the water will also be

Did you think of what media you are putting in your middle section?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store