Tank Setup - 90 Gallon

brian313313

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I have just set up a 90 gallon aquarium. I'm becoming indecisive on quite a few things so thought I'd try posting and getting some recommendation.

Here's what I have so far:
90 Gallon - 48x18x24
River rock, shale, and granite substrate & rockwork.
2-54watt t5 lights 6500K.
DIY sump - Building this weekend.
It will be a 5 gallon bucket with 2 gallons bioballs. Mag950 on the bottom, drip tray on top, with the lid on to keep moisture, splashing down. Pipes drilled through the lid.

I'm thinking of more filtration to clean out the particles. Any recommendations here? From my reading an Aquaclear 110 sounds like it may be good. A canister filter is also a possibility but I wouldn't know which one to pair with the sump for a good combo.

I tested water and it's about 7 pH, and about 50ppm GH. Soft-neutral. I don't want to treat the water for changes so that's what it will be. What would some good setups be? I prefer American Cichlids but am considering African also. One thought was 2 Oscars & 4 Convict Cichlids. Oscars have been my favorite fish in the past & the Convicts would add some interest. Both should be able to breed in the tank as I have built plenty of areas with the rockwork. I'd start with 4 Oscars & then trim once I had a pair. I would really like something smaller than an Oscar though if I could get the personality and breeding still. Six inches is more manageable I think but I'm not familiar with what to research in this area. A couple more fish would be nice too

Thanks for any advice.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Two oscars and 4 convicts is a good idea for a 150 gallon. In a 90 that's way overstocked. Way way overstocked. One oscar is even on the verge of over stocking. I think you would be fine with one oscar but that's it. The other oscar and convicts isn't a good idea nor is it a responsible idea. As for filtration an AC 110 would be fine two would be better a canister would be helpful as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

brian313313

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Do you have any recommendation on a substitution for the Oscars? They've been my favorite in the past and my best breeding success but I'm concerned about the size as well.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Do you have any recommendation on a substitution for the Oscars? They've been my favorite in the past and my best breeding success but I'm concerned about the size as well.
Just do one you will be fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store