Are you allowed to take fish with you on airlines?

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
I'm going to Atlanta to meet some family members and I am going to the fish stores there to see what's what. I'm wondering if I am allowed to bring them as baggage...if it doesn't work, I will just buy them and ship them to my house so I can get them the next day. (though that will be costly.) But does anyone know if i can? Delta airlines to be specific. I'm on the hunt for the great retroculus lapidifer but I'm really expecting just ordinary neon tetras and common plecos and your generic common mbuna.....thanks everyone. And before you ask, yes, I will make sure to have a heat pack and oxygen packaged in the bag, along with double bagging to prevent leaks, Jeff Rapps style.

ChrisP75

Exodon
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Sacramento
What other members have done is contact the TSA and the airlines, then get something in print and take with you. I think the response one guy had was as long as the fish is swimming we know the liquid isn't harmful so it's Ok, but you should be sure to reach out to the airlines to make sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I had fish coming back from the Konvention. Delta would not let me take them on the plane. I had to rush to air freight and pay to have them shipped with no guarantee they'd arrive on the next plane. Lucked out there. They arrived about an hour after I did. The shipping cost about 10 times what I paid for the fish I got at the auction.

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
I had fish coming back from the Konvention. Delta would not let me take them on the plane. I had to rush to air freight and pay to have them shipped with no guarantee they'd arrive on the next plane. Lucked out there. They arrived about an hour after I did. The shipping cost about 10 times what I paid for the fish I got at the auction.
Well, ****. Fedex it is then.

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
Do you mean the catfish convention in the east coast from not too long ago?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I have no faith in the airlines or Tsa.

You may luck out. ... My luck would be getting stuck at the security scanning checkpoint and being forced to ditch the fish or miss my flight.

You cant bring nail clippers or shampoo on a plane anymore. Its ridiculous. I'd ship them out right just to be safe but thats just me.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I have taken fish on the plane once before a checked in box.when they asked me what it was I said shampoo and kept my fingers crossed that they would go threw and they did.I was prepared that they may confiscate them but they went threw.that was about 8 years ago but they may be more likely to catch you now with stricter rules about liquids now in these crazy times.If you do not spend a lot for the fish it may be worth taking a chance,that they may confiscate them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store