T5 or LED lights for 125 gallon?

saradomin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2014
Canada
Should I get two 36" T5 Coralife fixtures in stead of two 36" Marineland Advanced Led strip lights for my 72" long tank? The only problem that I can tell from the T5's is that they would leak quite a bit of light from the sides with it standing so tall. With the LED's I can just remove the legs and lay it on the glass lid without any issues with overheating.

What do you guys think?

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
When I had a 125 I used a 48" current-usa satellite+ led and was very happy.

ukgoffer

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2012
Westport, CT
I've got a 72" 250 and am leaning towards the LEDs. I like the programmability. They run cooler and are more compact. There are sets out there that have both t5s and LEDs in one unit but LEDs have improved so much that I don't think a combo is necessary. Is yours a planted tank? May be a consideration. I have only hesitated because it would take 4 of the 36" current systems for my tank. With that many, I start also looking at the AI systems.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I've got a 72" 250 and am leaning towards the LEDs. I like the programmability. They run cooler and are more compact. There are sets out there that have both t5s and LEDs in one unit but LEDs have improved so much that I don't think a combo is necessary. Is yours a planted tank? May be a consideration. I have only hesitated because it would take 4 of the 36" current systems for my tank. With that many, I start also looking at the AI systems.
Since I had the 48" already I had to add either another 48" or (2) 36" when I upgraded to a 72x30 to make up for the extra depth. Went with two 36" to keep weight off the thin acrylic lids.

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
I'm using 48" Programmable LED on my 125G with plants and I'm happy with that (planted tank with Exodon).

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
I would go with LEDs I picked up a 48" national geographic programmable LED strip for my 125 and it looks good it has 3 strips of LEDs. I have coralife and wave point t5s on my other tanks and I think the LEDs look better. What kind of tank is it for?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store