What is this on my Blue Acara's tail?

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
I recently separated my blue Acara pair because of their constant fighting and have decided to move the male and to my display tank to avoid future conflict.

However I noticed a section of my males tail that has given me a bit of concern. Hopefully the pictures below will show what I am talking about.

The lower section of his caudal fin is discolored and inflamed.

uploadfromtaptalk1416678147246.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1416678166395.jpg

I have had him in a quarantine tank for a month now (40b) to allow for a full recovery before adding him to my main tank, yet this area on his tail will just not go away. I have been treating him with water changes, salt and heat like I would with any injury but it doesn't seem to be making any impact on the affected area.

Does anyone know what this is? Is this just a normal injury that will go away in time? Or do I need to worry about it (disease, parasite, etc.)?

I would really like to get this quarantine tank out of my kitchen but don't want to add him to my main tank if this is anything other than a normal injury.

Please advise, thank you MFK'ers :D

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I've never seen this, interested to see what more experienced members identify it as :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Possibly a birth defect?
Nah, raised him since he was 1". Whatever this is, has only been around a short while.

Thank you for the insight though :)

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store