new Juvenile redtail giant gourami, has a black dot ? Gravel color ?

mccoy@mccoyweb.org

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2009
Northen California
I have a large giant gourami and I run the tank with a bare bottom. Do other do this or do you use gravel ? I have a wet dry system for filtration.
I recently acquired two Juvenile red tail giant Gourami's (4-5") for a different tank. They have a silver underside and a black dot on the rear. I have not seen
this before, have others ? I with these new guys I was thinking about gravel color since the are pretty dark. Any suggestions ?

Regards,
Bob.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
It's a matter of preference on the gravel.

As for the different coloration - it's a different species - and I can almost guarantee you, you will end up with one, before long, out of the two. Good luck!

mccoy@mccoyweb.org

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2009
Northen California
both of them have this black spot, do you think they are not red tip GG ? I had assumed there was only one species of red tail GG. My big boy must be 26 to 28",he is the typical grayish color. If there are only 4 different types of GG, what are the others ? I assume an Albino.

rosne

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2014
CA
My rtgg has a giant black dot also. Its nomal to have them so don't worry.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
No; your big gray one, is the same as the "albinos" which are not in fact albino - but lutino / xanthic - Osphronemus goramy. Your other ones (with the spot) is a different species. Your gray one, therefore, is not a RTGG but the other two are.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
There are 4 species - two of which you have - the other two are pretty much unavailable. I have a pink one, which is the same as your gray one.

mccoy@mccoyweb.org

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2009
Northen California
Do you use a gravel base or a clean glass bottom ? I have run bare glass for many years, I use a small power head to stir up the bottom. I was not sure if the fish need to poke around the gravel or the gravel is just for looks.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I've done both - doesn't make a difference.

The gouramis don't really poke at the bottom much, but when there is food, they will.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store