Water Test kit....is that true?

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
For many years into this hobby I never used anything to test my water parameter :) (I guess I'm lazy) but I didn't encounter any issues for my fishes at all.
Today all of sudden I picked up water test kit and curious about my fish tank water. I did all the tests Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and turn out everything a 0 ppm.
Is that possible to have everything at 0 ppm? lol (I researched my PH local tap water and the PH test result almost locked right at the number I got from my local water supply). I know it's nice to see everything under control but I doubt these test kits giving out accurate test results. :)
Tank and fish spec:
*125G using 2x Fluval G6 filter system, heavy planted tank, 13 watts UV, and around 120 Exodons (tank is 3 months old).

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
You should be reading some kind of nitrates. Ammonia should be 0 nitrite should be 0 but there should be some trace of nitrates even a tiny amount. I'm not sure about how all that works with a planted tank though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
hmmm I did the Nitrate test again and color chart still show at 0 ppm LOL
Might be too small amount that the test kit doesn't give out accurate color result?

*Using API freshwater master test kit.

Devzev

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2014
nyc/nj
Make sure to use the nitrate test correctly. Regarding the second it says in the instructions to shake for a while ( i think 30 seconds) and then to shake the vial for a minute. Then have to wait a few minutes for the result

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
Thanks all for the tips, I did my tests wrong :D
My Nitrate now read 5 ppm, Ammonia 0.25 and Nitrite still at 0 ppm.

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
I'm normally do 10% water change every 3 days instead do a large water change every week or every 2 weeks, with these tests kit i'll monitor my water parameter closely and do water change when needed :D I think I'm getting old to do every 3 days water change hahahaha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store