Aquaclear media

apastuszak

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2010
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphack.com
As indicated in previous threads, I'm getting ready to set up an Aquaclear 300(70), and had a question about the media. The mechanical filtration "sponge," how often do you replace it?

Prior to putting this thing in storage, I'd used the same sponge for probably well over a year. I'd just rinse it out and reuse it. I think at one point, I may have had two of them in there with a bag of the biomax across the top and just rinse the foam blocks over and over again.

Is there a point where I should consider replacing these things?

swifty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2013
California
I've had my Aquaclears for about 2 years and haven't replaced anything yet. Just rinsing the sponges/biomax every 1-4 weeks in old tank water like most people.

I've actually been thinking of taking the biomax out for sponges because of what others said here; they get clogged over time. I haven't noticed it in mine, but was thinking of doing so only to prevent anything.

apastuszak

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2010
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphack.com
I've had my Aquaclears for about 2 years and haven't replaced anything yet. Just rinsing the sponges/biomax every 1-4 weeks in old tank water like most people.

I've actually been thinking of taking the biomax out for sponges because of what others said here; they get clogged over time. I haven't noticed it in mine, but was thinking of doing so only to prevent anything.
What gets clogged? The BioMax? I haven't seen that. I was doing some YouTube research on power filters, and, in my opinion, the Aquaclear is still one of the best out there. I can't find another HOT power filter that has been around for as long as this design has. Hagen now makes a Fluval power filter, but they still make the Aquaclear.

I went through a short phase where I was always buying the latest and greatest power filter back in the early 90s. I have a Whisper 1, A Second Nature WDF, A Cannistar, a Penguin BioWheel, a Marineland Emporer, and then I bought an Aquaclear and pretty much stuck with it.

Ah to be young, unmarried with no kids and no mortgage payment again. I could afford to run 3 tanks and go to the LFS and see all the new aquarium gear that was coming out.

apastuszak

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2010
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphack.com
Got the filter set up and running. My 55 gallon tank is an old Oceanic. Not only is the glass thicker than the average AGA tank. It seems the lip is wider also. I had to really jam the thing on there to get it flush with the lip of the tank.

swifty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2013
California
What gets clogged? The BioMax? I haven't seen that. I was doing some YouTube research on power filters, and, in my opinion, the Aquaclear is still one of the best out there. I can't find another HOT power filter that has been around for as long as this design has. Hagen now makes a Fluval power filter, but they still make the Aquaclear.

Yeah, I've never seen it personally or read/heard about it actually happening, just that it has the "potential" to be clogged.

There really isn't anything new in terms of HOB filters. There is the c series by fluval, but it's really just an aquaclear with some added features. Aquaclears and sponge filters are really all that's needed IMO for 100g and under. Anything more can probably be done just as efficient, but if I were to ever go that large I'd go with a sump system. Canisters just seem out of place to me. Never felt the need for one.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I have two sponges and bio max on the top. I don't replace anything just rinse in tank water.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
the key answer here, rinsed in tank water or treated tap water or well water. until they start falling apart i do not replace them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store