What's wrong with my ray? help please!

kevincao

Gambusia
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2009
ontario
Hi, I noticed one of my bd is having white spots all over its body, 3 are born oct 1st, the male has had this white spot thing i assume since birth, now its getting more and more visible. This guy eats normal, acts normal, just like the other rays and live stocks in the tank. The water is changed automatically by drip system, approximate 30 gal / day. never had any medication in the tank. Please see attached pics for reference, I also took a shot with another ray beside it so you guys would have a better idea.

Also the picture is very hard to take, they won't stop moving, and in real person the white spots are much more visible.

is this a disease, should I be worried? what should I do? Can I buy fish insurance in Canada? lol

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 5.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
I can see loads of white spots.Very faint and very small.
Some times mine get that after a water change but tent soon fade the next day.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kevincao

Gambusia
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2009
ontario
Thanks guys, well I took some better one, it is very visible once the light switched on, but even with lights on at all time, it is still very visible in person. This was a known issue however it seems like almost over night when it showed much more significant spotting.

Do you think I should turn off the drip system for now? But the rest of the bds are just fine.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Jobu28

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2013
NC
What Ade said for me also. How much water are you changing on how large of a system?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Rays sometimes look much more pale in color during the night and when your lights first turn on you will see that. Could be this and it's still developing it's color or could be something else. As always check the water and everything else. If all else is good your doing everything right.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

kevincao

Gambusia
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2009
ontario
Water change is 30 gal filtered water each day in a 180g. The setup is 1 x 50 gal sump with bacteria house, the ceramic tube thing, eheim ceramic rings and balls. 1 x 15gal 8Litre K1 media, 1 x fx5 with eheim rings and bacteria house, 1 x eheim 2075 with eheim rings and balls. Return is 1300 gph pump plus fx5, they are all hooked up to same return.

Water goes through sump, then gets sucked in to fx5 and eheim 2075, then fx5 goes to same return as the maim sump pump and the 2075 pumps to the K1 media sump with 1 large sponge filter in it, and them K1 over flows to main sump and gets pumped back to main tank.

Water is fine, however left over food has became fungus in the overflow chamber, I used a goldy pleco to clean it one of it, did a great job until it decided to go in the overflow almost flooding my house..., by the time i took it out, it has already turned in to bones..

So right now there are debris in the overflow, however doesnt seem to bother the other bds nor the one with the white spots, but I will be getting a cheaper pleco to clean the overflow and put egg crates to block it from going in again...

Also I really hope its just the light and growing thing.. Dont want any birth or genetic defects happening here, would be an expensive loss since all 5 bds are from same parents.... :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store