Aquarium storage

freak78

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
Northwest, Indiana
Can you store an aquarium out I'm tjd cold for the winter. Say a garage or shop?
Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I know people that have stored tanks outside in my area, and it drops to -40F at times.

freak78

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
Northwest, Indiana
But since I'll be out there at times working on things with the heat on will the expansion and contracting of the heat effect the seal?

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Silicone has temperature ratings---which can be found by looking at the tubes or online should you have an idea for which one you have a concern. I've seen ratings that go down to -75F although they likely go lower. In an enclosed garage in Indiana, the temp inside the garage will in no way approach that. (I know as I had an unheated garage in Chicago for 15 years.)

It's hard to guess what you mean by expansion and contraction. If one were to let the temperature drop in the garage to 0F, then apply a blow torch to the seal, then let it cool down to 0F and do that all winter, yes, it might have issues.

If you mean the garage will warm from 40F to 65F while you work, that will likely have no effect at all. Silicon is used to seal outside windows and doors where temps fluctuate in ranges of 50 degrees on a daily basis (twice a day) and as much as 130 degrees over the course of a year and those seals last for years and years. Of course, the one used in aquariums is not identical to the one used outside, but that's why you might want to look for that particular type. But the ranges aren't going to be drastically different.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
If you mean the garage will warm from 40F to 65F while you work, that will likely have no effect at all. Silicon is used to seal outside windows and doors where temps fluctuate in ranges of 50 degrees on a daily basis and 130 degrees over the course of a year.
+1

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store