Max silver arowana size in tanks

bigme213

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2012
louisiana
Just curious to know some of you guys experience with silvers and the max size expected in a tank. Obviously it's probably rare they would reach 4' in anything other than a pond.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
image.jpg

Thats mine in a 500g.. He's 5 years old and he's closing up to the point where he'll be troubled by lacking space..

He was a slow grower.. You can be there in like 3 years if your unlucky..

The definition of too small is different for everyone and these threads used to get heated and hostile back in the days when one branch used to "jdm" their tanks wich means they overfilter the hell out of it and keep very big and many fish..

What i'm trying to say is you could absolutely keep an arowana in it and keep it alive.. If you wan't to see your arowana do arowana stuff for many years you should aim for twice or triple that size..

image.jpg

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Mine were at 32-33" when I got rid of them a couple months ago. They were 8&9 years old. Grew to 27" in a 180g for the first couple of years then in a 450g. I you can't move to a larger tank then a 250g when needed then I would recommend passing.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Mine were at 32-33" when I got rid of them a couple months ago. They were 8&9 years old. Grew to 27" in a 180g for the first couple of years then in a 450g. I you can't move to a larger tank then a 250g when needed then I would recommend passing.
You can stunt them in a tank that's to small which sounds like what you did

A silver can live its whole life in a 20g its just that its life won't be very long

People with to smaller tank are always trying to kid them selfs they don't get that big and because they stunted them in a to small tank they don't get that big

You should always take the adult wild size as a reference point and get a tank to suit if they don't get that big great if not you will know you haven't stunted it

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
This is a general response since I haven't raised an aro, but it's a summary of many studies I've seen on fish growth. In nature fish don't grow all the time and periodic slow downs followed by growth spurts is fairly common for FW fish. Having said that, fish who "slow down" for too long, don't make up for that later, especially if it's the early part of a fish's life. Too long can seen as something which is longer than a year, certainly 2 or 3 years.

To maximize the chance for a fish to reach it's individual genetic potential in size requires a lot of things but clean, fresh water, plentiful amounts of nutritious food, plenty of space, and low or no stress environments are some basics. While each fish is unique, it's reasonable to expect that a fish should be able to reach 80-90% of the recorded maximum sizes for that species. In some cases, it can exceed that. Of course, that will likely take years, so it almost means that the commitment to a larger tank has to be made earlier rather than later if that is the goal.

joe5639

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
It could work depending on the footprint of the tank and how much you feed him. If the width is 30" i wouldnt think you would need to upgrade for years

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store