Anubias placement in tank

aggressor09

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2007
Queens, NY
Hi All,

Does this placement work for my anubias? I read some conflicting information that the plant should be close to the surface with moderate light (to grow as a bog plant), vs. other sources that suggested the the plant be shaded from direct light.

It's a 75 gallon with a 48" Finnex Fugeray Planted +, and about an 8.5 hour photoperiod every day (the algae on the Congensis was from high light in a previous tank--just got the one on the lower right and now sure what type it is).

Thanks in advance

IMG_20141123_165515436.jpg

IMG_20141123_165515436.jpg

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
It'll grow wherever you put it really, so long as the roots aren't submerged otherwise they'd rot.

I've found it best to tie the stem to a suction cup and stick onto the side of the tank, my anubias really took off when I did this, likely due to being closer to the lighting; and again letting the roots float freely

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jay973

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2014
Northern Jersey
My Anubias in areas of my 180g are from the substrate all the way up to just breaking the surface depending on how much water I let evaporate. Anything breaking the surface that was once submersed will has turned brown and died off.

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Anubias plants such as nana, barteri, etc... do best when attached to something like driftwood, rocks, etc... and should never have their rhizome covered because they can and will start to die off. Lighting only effects how much new growth the plant does, such as low light will mean slow growth, high light will increase the rate growth; People that say they need to be shaded aren't correct in their theory, anubias can flourish under direct lighting, it's how close to the lighting itself that can cause light burn especially under really hot lighting such as metal halide.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store