Congo puffer care?

mbsplit2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2013
chicago il
I'm really interested in getting a congo puffer I just have a few questions.
Tank size?
Full freshwater or brackish?
Where an I find one?
Feeding?
Lastly any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Freshwater, 6 inches in size max, prefers a sandy bottom, 30 gallon is good, and prefers a meaty diet. Check Aquabid, aquatic day care, wetspot, eBay, and some of the vendors.

Reactions: dr exum

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Oh yea....no tank mates as they will likely end up lunch.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I would not risk pairs. I know of dwarf puffers in groups. But those are large tanks and heavy decor in there for hiding and keep away from each other. Wouldn't advise it. Sorry!

Monstrous

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2013
Singapore
Just sharing my experience here. Fully freshwater fish. Fine sand to me, is a must when keeping these fish. They will dig into sand to camouflage from prey or potential predators. NO sharp edged sand must be used for this purpose. They are largely piscivores, meaning they eat fish, live 1 especially. They aren't keen on ghost shrimps or any other types of shellfish. But u can train them to eat market prawns. A congo puffer kept in a sandless tank with no fish to eat is an unhappy puffer. The colour of the sand will determine the colour of the puffer-mine turned from red to a very light brown colour when in reef sand environment. Having a single fish in a single tank will do best to prevent injuries or death to any of the fish that you want to keep along the congo.

Last thing: Only if you have full commitment do u attempt to keep these fish. They demand very clean water and cleaning the tank MUST include cleaning of the sand. However, keep the tank environment with little changes as possible. Dirty sand with stress makes this puffer very prone to fungi infection

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store