my pothos

m8r8j

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2008
Ipswich, MA
this is on my 65g. i have 2 fluval 406's and 2 aq70s on this tank. i have no media in the aquaclears except fluval biomax, i used two 500g boxes for each filter... i think the roots of the pothos like going into this stuff a lot. this room gets no sunlight except ambient light so im not sure how its doing so well, its been growing for about 6 months now and has probably tripled in size. so figured id share an easy way to grow this stuff
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1416789256.148325.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Nice share, I've been thinking about some way to try pothos recently; have you noticed a big difference on your nitrates?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

m8r8j

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2008
Ipswich, MA
Nice share, I've been thinking about some way to try pothos recently; have you noticed a big difference on your nitrates?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
yup this stuff really works but you need quite a bit of it i think. i started with one small plant and didnt notice much of a difference until i got a second plant and they started getting bigger.

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
Nice...i use just a cut in half sponge in my 3 ac110s...i would think the biomax would eventually need to be rinsed out though and i wonder how much of a PITA that will be...also on my plants the root systems are getting very big..do you think when yours get bigger the biomax will impede root growth?...heres a pic of mine yours will be huge soon this plant grows very fast..and loves nitrates :)uploadfromtaptalk1416882065987.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

m8r8j

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2008
Ipswich, MA
i actually had it on top of the aq sponges before and had to keep pulling it out after the sponges clogged. the way the biomax piles up on itself leaves many open gaps that are actually pretty big. that along with the holes in the middle of the stuff it should be ok.

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Hi guys,

I have a question for you, how exactly do you get the plants to stay in place, do you have some mest tray hanging in there or are they cable tied into place?

i love the look and the idea!!!

adds much zen to the room!!!

m8r8j

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2008
Ipswich, MA
Hi guys,

I have a question for you, how exactly do you get the plants to stay in place, do you have some mest tray hanging in there or are they cable tied into place?

i love the look and the idea!!!

adds much zen to the room!!!
nope i have nothing except biomax. i just placed them in there loosely and after a few weeks the roots take care of the rest

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
The other problem i see with the roots all entangled in the biomax is when you go to clip the roots (helps with growth)...seems like it would be tough to clip them all wound around the stuff...btw i use light diffuser you can buy at any hardware store...clip to size and the roots fit through the small openings perfectly
Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I grow the pothos directly in the tank. Sends out impressive root systems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store