Hello from texas

903Herp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2014
North east texas
Hello everyone,

My name is Zack and I am pretty new to the aquarium hobby and I love it. I grew watching my pops take care of fish tanks and have always wanted one. I am now grown and out of the navy so I bought my first tank a 10g. I quickly learned that it was not going to be big enough so I had to have a bigger one. i went to a 20g long. This was ok for a couple weeks until I saw a baby albino tiger oscar that I had to have. I have upgraded since to a 45g tank. I know still small for my oscar and other tank mates. I recently purchased a spotted gar from my fish store. The gar is about 3inches long and very beautiful. I know my tank is to small for him full grown. In about 6 months I will be moving to a 300g tank (already started paying for it.) to house him and tank mates in. My current stock list is as follows (please forgive me as i do not know the scientific names of my fish.)

1 spotted gar
1 jack dempsey
1 texas cichlid
1 red tail shark
1 albino tiger oscar
1 albino channel catfish
1 golden gourami (will probably be fish food but my wife had to have it)
1 lake malawi cichlid (dont know the type)
1 tire track eel
2 4 line pictus catfish
3 cory catfish
3 striped rapheal catfish
2 spotted rapheal catfish.

I realize I have a pretty large stock for a 45g tank. With that saved I do 20% pwc every 3 days. Also with I know that some of the fish are not compatable as far as aggression goes that is why my tank has numerous hiding spots for the little guys. Like I said soon I will be moving to a 300g tank. I also know that life happens and have arrangements with my LFS if my fish outgrow my tank before I can set up their new home. Will hopefully post pics soon.

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
Welcome! Its good to have another member and your right about your current stocking being overcrowded. If you really are getting a 300 gal theres somethings I think wouldn't work like the gourami, african cichlid and the channel catfish due to size and aggression differences.

Sent from my SCH-R830C

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
There is a possibility your gar will eat half the fish you currently have, it'll outgrow them

903Herp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2014
North east texas
Yes I should have the 300g in about 6 months or so and then however long it takes to cycle. The gourami and the small african cichlid my wife picked out. I am more into oddball tanks. If the gar eats those 2 then i will not be too heart broken. The catfish typically stays inside is dug out under my driftwood. My other fish do not mess with my bottom feeders at all. Also in case life happens and I am not able to move to the 300g I have arrangements with my LFS that will buy my gar back and any other stock that outgrows/causes other fish problems.

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
Yes I should have the 300g in about 6 months or so and then however long it takes to cycle. The gourami and the small african cichlid my wife picked out. I am more into oddball tanks. If the gar eats those 2 then i will not be too heart broken. The catfish typically stays inside is dug out under my driftwood. My other fish do not mess with my bottom feeders at all. Also in case life happens and I am not able to move to the 300g I have arrangements with my LFS that will buy my gar back and any other stock that outgrows/causes other fish problems.
In less than six months the catfish, gar and oscar will more then definitely outgrow the tank

Sent from my SCH-R830C

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store