Sump humidity high - anyone use a hygrometer?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
My bad@$$ 90g /40b sump african cichlid has passed the impressive milestone of running one week! Talk about longevity! Lol

uploadfromtaptalk1416804254729.jpg

I have 2x 80mm 28cfm computer fans blowing in the cabinet. The sump has a lid, also has a few air driven sponge filters and the like inside along with a 2ft tall trickle tower. The back is partially closed maybe 10% open

I added a cheap digital hygrometer (humidity meter) uploadfromtaptalk1416804383881.jpg

Humidity stays around 60% and often spikes to 70%

Is this too high? The interior of the stand is painted with bathroom mildewcidal paint. Will I be ok with my air movement?

Im considering an additional (3rd) fan blowing out the back of the stand.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
What is the humidity in the rest of the house? You shouldn't get mold growing unless the humidity gets near 100%. I hsve a hygrometer in my fish room and it stays around 60% with no moisture issues.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I had really bad mold issues in my basement where I kept fish. I kept the basement at 35-40% with a dehumidifier.

The rest of the house upstairs fluctuates alot but ita normally around 50% due to winter setting in.

I was just concerned about mold in the stand. When I open the door and stick my head in there I can feel the hot humid air.

Good to know I've gotta be near 100%. Thank you

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
You had mold problems and your humidity was below 50%? Did you have good air flow? If not there could be areas that had higher humidity like up in the floor joists. I have a ceiling fan in my fish room to keep any areas from getting stagnant.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
You had mold problems and your humidity was below 50%? Did you have good air flow? If not there could be areas that had higher humidity like up in the floor joists. I have a ceiling fan in my fish room to keep any areas from getting stagnant.

I had mold problems prior to the fish or the dehumidifier.

It was a rental and I have no idea what happened down there before I moved in. There was a considerable amount of black and green mold. It wasn't terrible most was near the floor. The landlord was overwhelmingly apathetic. I sprayed the mold spots with undiluted bleach. Then covered them in a thick paste i made from borax and water. It crusted over and encapsulated the offending areas. Borax has anti mold properties as well.

Then I dried the place out. Dryer than the shahara. And i keep it that way. Its been a couple years since I took care of the mold. No signs of it making a comeback. Its barren and inhospitable.

Listen up kids -
Mold is dangerous. Have it professionally removed. If your land lord won't help - pursue the proper legal channels. You have rights as a renter. Don't be dumb.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store