Which cichlid would you rather own

jagsandpits

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
NewYork
(Hypothetically speaking u have an extra tank lying around)Cuban cichlid, jack Dempsey, or red tiger mota and why

Murrayt

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2014
California
Depends on the tank size. If it were a 55-75 Gallon I would go with Jack Dempsey. Although a JD probably wouldn't hide as much in a much larger tank.

However, with the larger tanks such as 120+ I would do a pair of Red Tiger Motaguense. Both Male and Female colors look fantastic and I like the differences between the two. Cubans are definitely another solid choice. Would definitely be hard to decide between the two. Matter of preference.

If you only had 1 fish I would do a Male Motaguense.

everlastace

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2011
Utah
I'll admit, I've grown a bit bored with JD (for now). And I'm not one to keep a tank with only one or two fish so the mota wouldn't be my choice either. Cubans are an awesome fish with a little more tolerant disposition. That'd be my choice for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jagsandpits

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
NewYork
It's basically a battle of preferred color choice, they all have similar body shapes, I would choose the Cuban , I miss my little female she got killed by my jag unfortunately, I wish I could have another tank

JackDempsey72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2014
Bristol/uk
Definitely jack Dempsey as I have one myself and he has never hid. He has magnificent colours for his size and follows me along the tank, won't stop eating when it come to feeding time

cich78

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
new york
All three choices are great looking fish... I've had Jack Dempseys before and I've, often seen other nice ones over the years but I wasn't moved to get them... I've never had Cuban cichlids and have seen them a couple of times ,that I almost but did not buy... but when I( finally)saw the never-before-seen Rtms at my local fish store I bought one with no hesitation and made room, ...then went back and bought two more... I learned about them 20 years ago and liked them and wanted them ever since ....I like all the fish in the parachromis genus. And with the Rtms.. I like the color, the size they attain ( which is large but manageable ),the fact that the males and females different enough to tell the sex at a small size ,and often adults I've seen have an impressive visible set of teeth.... the one I have in a 75 because one got killed and I had to separate the other to save from it is very outgoing ,wants to eat all the time and seems to be growing and coloring up well . I'm hoping that I have a male and female that I could reunite at some point( perhaps in my 120 or 150) ... Breeding pairs look stunning...
Here is my largest one that's about four inches

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1416840939486.jpg

Oscared

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Dempsey! I like the look of adult males

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com