New DIY Sump Bulid Drip Plate Question

DarrylTheFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2014
United States
In the sump/filter i am building i am planning for a 840 gph flow rate. The drip plate is 7" by 11 1/4". I am hoping that will be big enough for that flow rate. Also I am trying to figure out how many and what size holes to drill in my drip plate.

I am new to sumps so thanks to anyone that can help

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I used to drill holes in drip plates. Normally I would make a 1" square grid, drill all the intersections and the middle of each square with a 3/16" bit. I usally go small and enlarge the holes if need be.

I got lazy and I started using this
uploadfromtaptalk1416846056287.jpg
Its sold at any craft store or walmart. Ita called needle point.

With a felt or poly pad on top it makes a perfect drip pattern. I have a small series of drip trays in a trickle tower. Close to the dimensions you mentioned. I run a mag 9.5 and all the flow goes through this mesh, I even doubled up on return pumps pushing 1700gph at 0 ft and the mesh handled it just fine.

Its a great alternative to drilling thousands of tiny holes. Just my $0.02

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
They have it in store. Sometimes it's called craft canvas or knitting canvas.

Its inexpensive

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Weird. I cannot find it on their website. I know they have it in store.

Its not very rigid so youll have to use something to support it. Basically whatever you were making your drip plate from before (acrylic or w/e) with a hole cut in it would work.

Are you using the drip tray for a wet dry filter?

DarrylTheFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2014
United States
i have bought several difernt things and none are going to work and i need to get this sump going please how do i figure the number and size of holes for it

FishFrenzy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
you can use 1/4" bit approx 1" from the edges and 1/2"-1" apart. Try out that flow. You may have to enlarge them or you can drill more holes depending on your flow rate. You want the water to drip through the plate and not over it. You can wrap the edge of the plate with rubber or i used 1/4" split plastic wire conduit wrapped around the edge to slow or stop the water from running over the edge. from the size of your plate you're looking at about 75 holes

FishFrenzy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
a wet/dry sump is where your bio filter material sits above the water level in the sump and the water "drips" over the media. That is the reason for a "drip plate". If the media is simply submerged you don't need a drip plate. You could then just use filter socks for mechanical filtration. What are you using for bio media under the drip plate ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store