Feeding while out of town

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
We're going out of town Wednesday evening and won't be back until later Saturday and I have no one to feed our fish. I feel like those feeder blocks will not work for our fish so I need some input on what to do. One tank has our pike and GT that eat bloodworms. Our second tank has a JD two Senegalus bichirs, featherfin catfish, TSN and bumblebee cat. They eat pellets, bloodworms and frozen cubes. Our small tank has two dwarf puffers that eat bloodworms. And the last tank has a gold channel cat who also eats bloodworms. Any input on what to do? Feed them a nice hefty amount and just wait until we get back or what

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
Do a small water change before you leave and don't feed anything. They will be fine. The last thing that you want is extra waste that can have a negative impact on your system.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
They will be fine without food. I've gone on vac for up to 1 week and a half without feeding my fish. All I do is a water change and just leave.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I leave town for about 10 days duration, two to three times per year, I have about 15 tanks, and my fish are not fed during any of those times. I've never had a problem when they are not fed.
The only time I had a problem was years ago, when I hired a kid to feed, even after I gave strict instructions for not overfeeding, I came home to a stinking house of many dead fish, and tanks of polluted water.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
If they were fry, it might be a concern. Otherwise it's perfectly normal for fish to go days without food from time to time. The risk of putting in too much food with a block or an auto feeder (or neighbor/family member/friend) is too large to be worth the tiny growth that might occur.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
I'd be more concerned about fish that eat only bloodworms than I would leaving them for a few days without food.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I'd be more concerned about fish that eat only bloodworms than I would leaving them for a few days without food.
Our dwarf puffers will only eat bloodworms and snails. The GT eats pellets finally. The channel cat will basically eat whatever but the pike will not eat anything else. He will eat mysis shrimp from time to time

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store