How do I get rid of brown algae

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
So I have a brown algae problem (diatoms) the glass is easy enough to clean but my rocks I hate moving them is there an animal like snail or pleco I could use? I know they are caused by an imbalance in your tank my tank is fairly new only since June have I had this setup 0-0-20 respectively I do every 5 day 40% wc and my substrate is pool filter sand

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Unattended Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
near but far
My LFS has a constant supply of long fin albino bushy nose plecos and they do an awesome job in my tanks. I've got 2-3 in each tank and they keep it super clean in fact I gotta throw in algae wafers cuz they cleaned it all.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Go to fantastic fins in livonia if you cant find any bushy nose as he always has them and a lot of other plecos.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Consider otos. They are the best out there as far as fish. U may need to check your phosphorus and nitrate levels as they are likely way off. U may need a media to bind phosphorous. That'll help!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DarrylTheFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2014
United States
i have the same kind of problem with brown algae and i have dark green algae in my gravel and on my rocks the brown is hair algae all over them plant stems. I had 2 rubber lip Pecos one died but the other is keeping the glass clean. I just added 2 Plecostomus that i have been told should eat the green algae so i will see. I just add them yesterday[h=4][/h]

DarrylTheFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2014
United States
My LFS has a constant supply of long fin albino bushy nose plecos and they do an awesome job in my tanks. I've got 2-3 in each tank and they keep it super clean in fact I gotta throw in algae wafers cuz they cleaned it all.
I think petsmart sells them too not sure if this is the same but they have Longfin Albino Bristlenose Plecostomus

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I would get three flag tail fish they eat more algae than any fish I know had problem in my 150 gallon and was all gone in three days.had a royal pleco in first and did not make a dent.You need to keep one or at least three other wise two will chase each other all day.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Nerites and siamese algae eaters are the best for this (excluding Amano shrimp, since they'd get eaten), though the best solution is generally to find out what's causing the algae buildup (which is usually excess light; either your lights are too strong, or they're staying on for too long), and fixing the problem directly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store