Top water fish suggestions please

Sarmo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
SouthWest MT
I have a covered 210 and recently had my Black Aro jump. yes I said jump. the glass lid was sunk into the tank and the fish was on the carpet. :cry: I tried sticking it back in the tank and had initial hope as it's gills started moving but it never was able to right it's self in the water. I had to go to work and my wife texted me that it wasn't moving and one of the bichirs was trying to eat it's eye about 4 hours later. the fish was 28"+ and super nice. i'll miss it a lot. I have no idea why it would jump at night when all was calm. it was a bit skittish when people came near the tank but why jump at night?????

at this point I am thinking about what fish I could get to replace the black aro? I also have Dats, CL's and a couple pleco. does anyone have any suggestion on what would be a good top water fish that could survive with my other fish???

thanks for any suggestions!!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Pink Tail Chalceus

Sarmo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
SouthWest MT
Pinktail Chalceus"

nice looking fish, not very big. do you keep them in groups? i'll need to do some research, thanks!

anybody else?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The pink tail chalceus are a good top level fish but the dats may eat them. I have a few myself and like them a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
Sorry for your loss what I would do so you do not have this problem again is leave a small knight light on at night.It seems to keep them calmer at night rather than total darkness

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I once lost a giant silver like that but for years now I have kept all kinds of arows and that solved the problem so don't give up on the idea of getting another one.i recently lost a huge black myself the air hose separated from the stones it had to be at least 28 inches long and lost my 16 Dat the same day'talk about wanting to cry.had the black and Dat for eight years.

Sarmo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
SouthWest MT
Sorry for your loss what I would do so you do not have this problem again is leave a small knight light on at night.It seems to keep them calmer at night rather than total darkness
thanks, my light has 3 LEDs that are on 24/7. I like to wake up early and watch the fish with just the night lights on. my blue botia and the black aro were always busy at "night" when the only light was from those 3 LEDs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store