Dealing fish a snail infestation

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
To my horror, I discovered my 180g planted tank has a developing snail infestation!

I am adding blanched lettuce tonight to try to attract them and weed them out, but was wondering if anyone has successfully routed this issie. Any advice is appreciated. I have heard of a chemical that kills all snails and inverts, but am hesitant to add it as I do not want to cycle my tank.

Thanks guys!

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
Loaches work well

Sent from my LGL96G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; First, from what I have read about chemicals to kill off snails I would not use them.

Next, there seem to be people of opposite views about snails. I personally like them and find them a beneficial addition to my tanks. There have been several discussions about them on this forum. A search thru threads should yield information about many of their positive behaviors. Not sure why you are against them. You may find it a chore over time to get rid of them safely.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Since day one of setting up my 220 I've had snails the little black ones that multiply like rabbits I hated them, I used to drop in a cucumber (I think) every night and pull out 20-40 a night I got me some snails that kill other snails (assassin snail) well now I welcome them they help me clean my tank they really help me keep my sump clean now I love them give it time you may also

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mikec707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2009
santa rosa
www.youtube.com
I've been dealing with a MTS infestation my self for about 3 year now. They are out of control. I have 3 clowns in the tank now they do pretty well. The more loaches the better chance you have of wiping them out. I also go through an pluck out snails every couple of days. An just the other day I bought some Assassin snail to see if the could help. Not sure what kind you're dealing with but mine are a pain to get rid of.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Snails feed on overfeeding's. They will likely burrow into substrate and lay eggs and/or lay eggs in your filters.
As stated, Clown Loaches are one of the best clean up crews for the job. I also would not add any chemicals to fight against the snails.

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
You guys are lucky my tanks kill snails

Sent from my XT1254 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I have three clown loaches, but they seem to ignore them for the most part as they enjoy the blood worm/krill/massivore/garlic mashes I make for my polypterus. I am afraid they are eating my plants, and they are unsightly. I have the same problem in my guppy breeder tank, but I dont mind them being in there. Its the show tank that bothers me :( My plants have been getting little holes in them, and curling a bit.View attachment 1048862

ocellatus

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
Canada
What kind of snails? If they're ramshorns they'll be easier to thin than MTS which have parthenogenic females.

I have 5 chain and 2 clown loaches that rain down death on ramshorns. No survivors. MTS they have more difficulty with, given MTS are largely nocturnal and substrate borrowers. No leftovers when I crush a few and drop them back in mind you....

I too would avoid a chemical solution.

O

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store