Sump help

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
My 260 will be here on Saturday, when I ordered it I was planning on just using cannisters as filtration so didn't get the tank drilled. What are my options now? I have no idea if I can have someone come to my house and drill the tank, i'd be worried they'd mess it up and ruin my new tank though.. Is there a way to use a sump without having the tank drilled?

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
Use an overflow box of some kid, I believe there is one that you simply hang on the back tp function without any need fir drilling. I could be wrong though

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Just had a look at Uaru Joeys video on youtube of his DIY PVC overflow and that seems pretty simple to do, I don't see how this would remove any debris etc from the tank, would you use a cannister along with this for mechanical filtration? What size sump would be recommended for a 260?

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
That's up to you, I like to use sumps rated higher than my tank size. And for a canister, get an eheim or fluval. If you want to save money, buy a rena/API filstar, those are great filters too.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Is the tank acrylic or glass? If it was acrylic, id say just drill it. The manufacturer would probably send you a template if you ask them.

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
Don't usea canister with full mech, that will kill the flow rate. It's best to do bio on top and mech for the rest if you want good mech. I only have one sump, which is on a 75 gallon, and that one is very small, I only got it because that tank was pre drilled. But on my 240, I would use a sump rated up to 300 gallons.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store