cheapest plywood tank coating

av8erdunn

Feeder Fish
Jan 11, 2014
Mobile AL
I am in the process of building a small 100gallon outside pond on my back porch and was curious what's the cheapest type of epoxy or coating for the inside. I plan on fiberglassing the inside if need be and I want to install a viewing window on the side of the tank / pond. I can get the Sherwin Williams potable epoxy but its like $200 and was hoping to get something cheaper. Anyone have any input? I have read and read the last two days but at this point I'm more confused about what to use than anything.

av8erdunn

Feeder Fish
Jan 11, 2014
Mobile AL
Do I need to fiberglass the entire tank prior to applying this or do I just need to prep the joints some way?
Any way to get it black?

Big Fish Freak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Do I need to fiberglass the entire tank prior to applying this or do I just need to prep the joints some way?
Any way to get it black?

You do both at the same time..you apply your epoxy, let it sit for a few minutes, then lay the fiberglass on top, making sure it all gets wet and no air bubbles get trapped underneath. It can be difficult to do if you don't have a lot of experience with fiberglass. As far as getting it black, polymerproducts (the company the sells max acr) also sells a pigment you can mix with the epoxy resin to color it.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I wouldn't look for the cheapest. Look for the best. If the best is too expensive, maybe second best fits your budget.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Been doing some research and I came to the conclusion like I thought, you don't need fiber tape or mesh. Fiber glass mesh won't help keep a corner together as the wood would come apart before the resin would!
When I build my plywood I will just use Fillets in the corners then epoxy

Big Fish Freak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Been doing some research and I came to the conclusion like I thought, you don't need fiber tape or mesh. Fiber glass mesh won't help keep a corner together as the wood would come apart before the resin would!
When I build my plywood I will just use Fillets in the corners then epoxy
The fiberglass will help keep the water out though. And if you apply the fiberglass to the corners on the outside, it will help keep the corners from pulling apart..

If everything goes as planned, the MAX ACR epoxy is probably the best bang for your buck..At ~$90/Gal it's one of the cheapest aquarium specific epoxies out there, and aside from Ames Blue Max liquid rubber, its the cheapest waterproofing I have found out there.

Ames blue max is very thin stuff, I watched a demo at a local hardware store and it took over 7 coats before the wood wasnt visible..you probably get about the same amount of coverage out of 2 gallons of the MAX ACR as you would a 5 gal of the blue max..

But this is just my observation, I havent personally used it myself, just saw the demo at the hardware store.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

av8erdunn

Feeder Fish
Jan 11, 2014
Mobile AL
Good info and thanks. This project has actually been put on hold as my boat ended up having to get both out drives replaced to a tune of $17,000 and a lot of my time doing it. It was more than I expected but oh well. You gotta pay to play I guess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store