3" koliba won't eat

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I managed to pick up a juvenile cb Koliba a few weeks ago, along with an endli. The koliba is about 3" at the moment and is in a temporary grow out tank with 4, 4" delhezi, and the now 4" endlicheri. He has only eaten one time since I bought him. That meal was a ghost shrimp.

Initially he was insanely active--very rarely stopped swimming, day and night. Now he is a bit lethargic.

I have been attempting to spot feed him with blood worms, massivore, frozen krill, and freeze dried krill since day 3 or so, but he wont eat anything. I can place it right in front of his face without disturbing him, and he wont even so much as sniff at it.

I feed during the day and after lights out. I generally use garlic xtreme, but have tried to feed him without it as well.

He exhibits hunting behavior almost every day, peeking in nooks of the driftwood and trying to find food, but he wont eat.

He is getting very emaciated at this point, and I've grown very fond of the little guy. Anyone have advice? I am familiar with this problem, but I have tried almost everything. Im out of tricks. No more rabbits left, pals.

Other info:

-Perfect water params since the juvies migrated to their current tank.

-I began doing a 25-40% wc 2x a week just for the hell of it after a few discussions on whether or not it was important with perfect params.

-the rest of the polys are healthy, active, hardy eaters.

-one delhezi is fringing on obesity from stealing the meals I attempt to spot feed the koliba and consistently being the first to find the tank wide meals I put in. Pretty sure that one has a sixth sense of some kind. Seriously. He makes the other polys look like a bunch of ****ing starfish on a treadmill.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Personally I would separate koliba from others until it started to eat, as you stated some bichir are fast, and will try to gulp up lol all of the food.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Yup yup. I'm setting up either a 10g or 25g for him today. Im just low on space and filters is the problem. Down to a single eheim type 2213. It isnt cycled but I have plenty of lava rocks I can take from some other tanks to avoid a spike. Big problem right now is physics. Just about the only empty spot in my house is the lower tier of the 37gallon's iron stand:View attachment 1048915I just made a post about it over in setup/filtration, so hopefully someone with a mind for physics sees the thread and comments.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
CAM03149.jpgheres the koliba.

CAM03149.jpg

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
It's most likely being out competed. Especially with that many in that small of a tank. So like tlindsey said I would seperate it until it showed some of the same characteristics such as a sixth sense of food or bulking up.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
CAM03154.jpgCAM03153.jpghere's the fat hobbit. I swear the bastard looks like hes sb in real life. Hes not being terribly accommodating with the whole photography thing.

CAM03154.jpg

CAM03153.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store