Best community for a 75g

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Looking to make one of our 75 gallon tanks a community. It's going to be fully planted so I'm looking for ideas on stock. I'm not into the whole molly and neons community. Looking for fish that will not outgrow a 75g and will be good in a planted tank. I'm wanting to do about 20 fish. I'll move out Senegal bichirs to it and our tiger shovelnose will be in there until he is big enough to go into our other tank. What would be a nice community around bichirs? Maybe some Angels and 8-10" peaceful cats. Not a huge fan of pictus but maybe a type of synodontis

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I was going to suggest a planted stream tank with dace and darters but that won't work with bichirs.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Darters look really nice. Do they not get bigger? Our bichirs are both around 4" and so far wouldn't harm a fly

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Some smaller species get 1.5-2" with the largest ones getting to about 7-8". Most grow to 2.5-4" though. They also prefer cooler water (45-70 F) which I doubt would be compatible with bichirs.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
My favorite community fish are cherry barbs as adults the brown females get nice yellow gold so the bright red and yellow gold look really nice together. I did a 75 gallon community around them and it was nice.

I would do
15 -20 x cherry barb
2 x German Blue Ram
6 x Hatchet fish
1 x pearl gourami

Or Rainbows instead of the barbs, and skip the rams

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I'm going to do a tiger barb, clown loach, tiger plec set up at some point; it would work in a 75 until the clowns got massive.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
could do a hemichromis (elongatus,frempongi, ect) community, lovin my 5 star generals atm, birchir are african riverine too right? add a dwarf giraffe cat too!-) would be a cool tank, maybe a few tiger scats (is that the one that can stay in freshwater or is that bad info ive read?).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store