Suction Cups for Acrylic Move?

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
I'm picking up a used 12'x3'x2' acrylic tank next week. I have 6 buddies helping me. Does anyone have experience in using suction cups? Is it worth trying to find/borrow/buy some?

Glasman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2009
Kentucky
They are great, I work at a glass wholesale factory and we use them non stop to move large sheets of glass.

Sent from my XT907 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
They work good on acylic. Harbor Freight has some that work well at cheap price

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
I never used them..and not sure I would trust them either. That pane is around 450lbs, right?
We used 2 inch thick tie down straps...if you have it loop under the piece and then up around your shoulders, it gives fantastic leverage and evens the weight across your shoulders. And very little risk of dropping or damaging your piece.

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
I never used them..and not sure I would trust them either. That pane is around 450lbs, right?
We used 2 inch thick tie down straps...if you have it loop under the piece and then up around your shoulders, it gives fantastic leverage and evens the weight across your shoulders. And very little risk of dropping or damaging your piece.
That's a good idea. I checked out most of the weights on "economy" cups and they will hold about 75-100#. This tank is over 500 so even with a handfull I don't think I'd trust them. I do have one of those straps made for furnature moving I may try along with a guy on each corner.

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
I'm picking up a used 12'x3'x2' acrylic tank next week. I have 6 buddies helping me. Does anyone have experience in using suction cups? Is it worth trying to find/borrow/buy some?
I borrowed a couple from my glass guy at work to move a 450 tall. 1 1/4" acrylic and when we tried to lift one end of the tank they slid up and these are top of the line suction cups so I wouldn't trust them to hold the weight if the tank. They did work well for sliding the tank around and a quick lift to get your fingers under it. With six guys I'd get six pair of gorilla gloves from Home Depot, they have a good non slip grip. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Glasman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2009
Kentucky
Ours at work are $35 each, and rated for 500 pounds. I've never had one slip in the 10 years of daily heavy lifting with them, including 96x130 stock sheets of 1/2" glass with one guy and one suction cup on each end.

Sent from my XT907 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store