DIY Auto Water Change System Design

DarrylTheFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2014
United States
I am working on a DIY Auto water change system that will clean and reuse the waste water from the tanks. I am needing to know if i use several 10g tanks and set each one up to filter out different things like :

tank 1 filters waste and solids
tank 2 filters Phospates
tank 3 filters Nitrates

And then run the water though an RO systems is that enough or is there something i need more

rotaryblake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2013
Red Deer
Don't know if I have ever seen anyone reclaim old aquarium water other than to water a garden. Its a Cool idea, but what would be the benefit of doing this? Seems like it would be quite an expensive venture for a small gain.

DarrylTheFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2014
United States
City water is expensive here and i have a 75g and a 55g with a 150g and a 300g on the way also where i have my tanks i don't have easy access to a drain so i am trying to reclaim as much as i can to lower the amount of waste i send out to the sewage and the amount of city water i have to use.

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
To me it sounds like a well set up multi stage filter...but the reason we do water changes and remove old water is because we need to replace the nutrients in the water that dissapear in time. Theres a more scientific wording for that but i forget...theres ways to extend how long you can go without q water change and make your tank more water efficient, but its almost impissible to have a tank that doesnt need any water changes. But im with you, better filtration to cut down on waste water.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DarrylTheFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2014
United States
RO units require the water to be under pressure. Also it probably won't do much to reduce nitrates.
I was just thinking that while i am cleaning the water i would try to clean out some of the nitrates too. Since Nitrates are only removed by filtration and water changes

DarrylTheFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2014
United States
To me it sounds like a well set up multi stage filter...but the reason we do water changes and remove old water is because we need to replace the nutrients in the water that dissapear in time. Theres a more scientific wording for that but i forget...theres ways to extend how long you can go without q water change and make your tank more water efficient, but its almost impissible to have a tank that doesnt need any water changes. But im with you, better filtration to cut down on waste water.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
i think i might be able to replace nutrients using a dosing pump and something like replenish. Also I am just trying to reduce my city water usage i do know that some water will still be sent to the sewer. I was hoping for like a 80/20 ratio 20 going down the drain. I have a 5 stage RO system now and can easily add another if needed for this project

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
i think i might be able to replace nutrients using a dosing pump and something like replenish. Also I am just trying to reduce my city water usage i do know that some water will still be sent to the sewer. I was hoping for like a 80/20 ratio 20 going down the drain. I have a 5 stage RO system now and can easily add another if needed for this project
An RO filter wouldn't work. An RO system would have a high rate of waste water, and the product water would be void of essential minerals. Then even if it did work, you'd constantly need to replace the filters and perhaps the membrane, which isn't cheap. If the idea is to save some money and waste less water, just add some fast growing plants to your set-up. Maybe read the sticky: "Cheap plants, less nitrate! POTHOS" in the DIY Filters sub-forum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store