plumbing, pumps, and filtration

Sac39051

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2012
Sacramento, Ca
my 150 stand build is almost complete (i'll post pics in DIY when done) and my Aqueon 150 gal Megaflow arrived today, has 2 1" holes drilled on each side. Plan on getting a 55 gal for the sump, so I'm trying to finalize everything....

Questions for all you good ppl:

1. Comments, opinions on the Aqueon Megaflow overflow kit? i think the bulkheads it comes with are barbed and I was planning on using PVC not hoses so those may have to be replaced. Other thing I was wondering with this kit (which says is height adjustable), is if it will be tall enough for my tank which is 29" high?

2. I've been looking at lot of plumbing set ups, and I am no closer to deciding how to do mine lol. I am concerned about the only 1" drilled openings because (according to flow charts) they are only capable of handling 650 GPH each. I would like the water flowing from both overflows to drop into the same side of the sump, which obviously means that there will be a much longer span for the water to travel from the farthest drain. Should I join the 2 as they enter the sump or leave them separate? Will the difference distances that the water has to travel affect the flow too much?

3. Pumps...so very undecided...mainly though, should I go with 2 pumps since there are 2 return holes? Same issue with the drains, obviously different distances to the return drains. Next question is submersible vs external pumps...I am leaning towards submersible due to noise (i would like this system to be as silent as possible). But I am concerned about added heat added by submersible, particularly int the summer, as well as the space in the sump that it takes up.

Thanks for your help! I'll do a build thread when done (and once I figure out hoe to post pics, lol)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store