Green Bay Snook Fry. Help

callmestill

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
franklin park IL
so i got 5 snooks about a week ago for my 240gl
when i went to move a rock cave today i got attacked by 2 snooks and wasn't until i looked closer that i saw there was a bunch of eggs on top
question is if i should leave the eggs there and get protected from the parents or transfer them to a 30 gal
or leave them in for a few days then move them

IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG

IMG_0957.JPG

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
What other fish do you have in the tank? In the first picture it looks like you have a good sized pacu which the snooks might not be able to guard their eggs from very easily. I'd wait for the eggs to hatch and then move the fry.
Good luck!

callmestill

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
franklin park IL
Tank mates are
2x florida gar 12''
4x senegal bichir 6-8''
1x red belly pacu 18''
1x pleco 12''

thats what i was worried about the pacu is staying pretty close to them lately. but the snooks are surprisingly holding their ground pretty freaking well as opposed to getting dominated from him all the time. but how long are they gonna last?

callmestill

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
franklin park IL
decided to put the eggs in a 10 gal till they hatch with a sponge filter+water from main tank
question is i had to take the to tube off the top of the sponge filter because it was taller than the tank
will the sponge filter still function? or is there not gonna be enough suction

IMG_0959.jpg

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Sweet, good call on moving them. I'm sure they would've been eaten soon. I've heard good things about adding and air stone and putting it really close to the eggs so they dont fungus. I've also heard that methalyne blue works aswell. I'm not a big fan of seperating the eggs (I always wait for them to hatch) so I dont know a huge amount about the Do's and Dont's when moving them.
decided to put the eggs in a 10 gal till they hatch with a sponge filter+water from main tank
question is i had to take the to tube off the top of the sponge filter because it was taller than the tank
will the sponge filter still function? or is there not gonna be enough suction
Yah it'll still function. I've been in that situation many times before and they work fine. They work better with the lift tube but they work fine without it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store