Do you think this will work or hurt the fish?

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
I have some EBJD I have been trying to breed but every time they spawn they eat the fry within a few days, So the next time I want to separate them. What I was thinking about doing was sitting a small tank on the bottom of their stand and just use a 1/2" piece of hose to syphon the water out of the tank they are in into the little tank I want to put the fry in, I then thought I could also use the hose to syphon the fry out as well..

After the tank is almost full I could syphon the fry right into the tank.. Do you think this would work or would it hurt the fry because they are so small?? I also have a large sponge filter in the tank the parents are in that I will take out and put in the fry tank just to keep the water the same as they are use to!!! If it matters the breeding pair are in a 125 gallon 6 foot tank with 2 fluval 405 filters and a big sponge filter, and I will be putting the fry in a 20 gallon tank with that sponge filter!!!

I would really appreciate any and all help and comments on this!!

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
That could work alot of people do that so they wont have to move the parents or use a net to remove fry and get bitten by the parents.

Sent from my SCH-R830C

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I've siphoned tadpoles, some didn't do well coming through the tube.

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
I've siphoned tadpoles, some didn't do well coming through the tube.
Oh yeah it also depends on the diameter of the tube compared to the frys size

Sent from my SCH-R830C

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
Oh yeah it also depends on the diameter of the tube compared to the frys size

Sent from my SCH-R830C
I know the hose is atleast 1/2" it may be 5/8" and I want to take the fry out as soon as I see them because they eat them as soon as they see them... LOL. so the tube will be plenty big enough, I was more concerned about the pressure of them being sucked through the hose. I don't plan to use any kind of pump or anything just use my mouth to get the flow started them let it run on it's own!!

Thanks everyone for your input!!!

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
Oh well I see no problems as long as there isnt a kink in the hose I wouldn't worry about the pressure due to there being no hose involved

Sent from my SCH-R830C

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Because a pair of my Chucos spawned in a community tank, I successfully did what you are suggesting. I waited until the eggs hatched, and became wrigglers, the parents placed them into a PVC cap, so I simply removed the cap to an already set up tank. An air stone was placed near the wrigglers so detritus was kept from settling on them, carry away waste, and provide a current of oxygen fresh water.

a shot from a few days ago

Reactions: MrsE88

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
Because a pair of my Chucos spawned in a community tank, I successfully did what you are suggesting. I waited until the eggs hatched, and became wrigglers, the parents placed them into a PVC cap, so I simply removed the cap to an already set up tank. An air stone was placed near the wrigglers so detritus was kept from settling on them, carry away waste, and provide a current of oxygen fresh water.

a shot from a few days ago
Well that is pretty cool how that worked out for you.. But it is a little different then what I'm asking, I know it is safe to put the fry in a different tank, I do it with my African Chiclids all the time, the question is will it harm the fry by using a hose to siphon them out into the other tank??

Nice looking fish by the way!!!

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Ive used this method many times. Mt Africans spawn all the time. If I chase the fry around with a net they will undoubtedly get eaten

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store